Saturday, May 21, 2011

What's an artichoke?

One of my new favorite hobbies is looking at food blogs.  The recipes are usually super awesome, and the photography is kick ass.  Now that I am out of school (and have a super cool camera of my own - thanks Aunt Deb!!), I can finally justify spending the time on a blog of my own.  I just got out of a grueling 8 YEARS of college, and no I am not a doctor...sad.  So I have promised my body that I am going to pay it back by taking better care of it.  That means eating better than I did in college (although I was never THAT bad), and exercising (gasp!).  Hopefully this blog will help me keep that promise!!

What's in a name?
Growing up in California, I ate a lot of artichokes.  My dad would make them all the time, and as a kid, they were super fun to eat (although sometimes painful - those spikes at the ends of the petals will get ya every time).  We even had a saying "Okey dokey, Artichokey!!" - which was almost the name of this blog.  At any rate, artichokes were my first glimpse into all of the great, interesting, and healthy, foods that exist out there.  Although they were a common treat for me, I have come to realize that a lot of people have never had one before (especially Colorado folks).  And some of the people who have had them think they are too much work to eat, and soon resort to canned artichokes only (tisk, tisk).  It's a shame because 'real' artichokes are so delicious!  For those of you who have never seen, or eaten, an artichoke - exhibit A....

Aren't they pretty?  They eventually bloom into a flower if left in the wild too...

Awesome.

Well tomorrow starts day 1 of trying to eat healthier.  I waver back and forth on gluten free too, so we'll see how that goes.  Although thanks to my Aunt Kim, I have some great gluten free snacks in my freezer!  Also, I recently tried this quinoa recipe (a staple for a gluten free diet), and it finally made me see the potential of what is usually a very bland food.  Maybe I'll blog about that next :)

Tomorrow's menu includes egg whites and avocado for breakfast, and a grilled chicken hummus wrap for lunch.  With a hike in between!  This is Kora's first hike of the summer so wish her luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment