Thursday, May 26, 2011

Stupid Creativity!


Don't those paintings look awesome?!

That's ok, you don't have to lie.  I know they look like they were done by a 2nd grader, complete with birds shaped like V's and puffy clouds.

Before I graduated, I put together a list of things I was going to do this summer.  When I found out that I start work in a week (instead of in the 2 months I had in mind!), I panicked and have tried to fit in as much stuff in as I could in just a few days.  This "stuff" ranges from painting to trying to learn how to use my new camera and properly edit photos.

Needless to say, this has led to much frustration.  We all know you can't rush the creative process, and the years and years I have spent dedicating to schoolwork has left little time to get (back) in touch with the inner artist that I was once a lot closer to.

This week, I think I bit off way more than I can chew...and I'm chewing things that I have never eaten before, ugh.  Drawing, painting, and shooting awesome pictures (even with my little point and shoot), was something that once came a lot easier to me than it does these days.  But like I said, this week is different: I used to paint with oils, this week I tried watercolor.  I used to take pretty pictures and think "I wouldn't change a thing," this week I am lost in tutorials and complex commands of Photoshop :(

After sputtering out excuses (out loud, and angrily) ranging from "There's something wrong with my tap water!" to "My version of Photoshop is broken!" the advice I have for myself is to back off a bit and take life one hobby at a time.  I also shouldn't beat myself up for not being great at something new (or that I haven't done in a LONG time).

This hasn't stopped me from making yummy food this week though, so maybe I'll post some of that.  Besides, at least I have this face to cheer me up when I get frustrated :)

1 comment:

  1. I think your paintings are beautiful :)
    oh, and Ms.Kora is looking more beautiful than ever!

    ReplyDelete