Monday, August 5, 2013

Getting Serious For a Moment

I love writing this blog, it is a creative outlet that I never thought would be "up my alley", but it has proven to be the perfect hobby.  Food, graphic design, photography, writing, all in one - how can I not love it?!  I spend a majority of my free time admiring other food blogs and am constantly thinking of how I can improve this one.  I dream of the day when hundreds of people are reading and commenting on every post and I LOVE it when I am out with friends and they mention how much they enjoy reading the blog.  It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!

But...sometimes I put a lot of pressure on myself to be better, or I tell myself that I am not doing enough...which may or may not be true.  I know there is a lot of room for improvement, but still I get frustrated when I am running out of daylight and my photos are not turning out the way I want.  I get antsy trying to figure out how to format everything.  And, tinkering with all the ways that this thing is connected with social media gets my head spinning.

But then I ran into this post.  And felt all warm and fuzzy inside.  Here's why:
1. For very personal reasons, I love the name of this blog :)  And I think this couple is cute.
2. It shows the down and dirty of food photography.  Although this post does a great job of emphasizing that good photos can be achieved without some of the pricey equipment normally used, I sure see a lot of equipment on there there I don't have!  I have one camera, 3 lenses, and no other equipment (most of it bought for me as a gift - thank you Aunt Deb!!).  Maybe I should go easy on myself and be proud of the photos that I produce.
3. It gave me insight as to how to actually do some of the things I want to do.  My frustration with some blogs is that they just show the pretty end result and make it seem like these beautiful images just happen.
4. It gave me confidence in what I am doing.  Sometimes I feel silly propping up food (with all of the blinds open for good light), waving to my neighbors as they walk by.  And I think to myself, "They probably think I am crazy...maybe I am crazy?"  But, if you look at the behind the scenes shots in this blog, some of them look funny and staged, and the whole room is a mess.  But the end result is so cool and worth it :)

In the end, this IS fun and the more I do it, the better it will become.  And getting better is just an added bonus.  I hope you all enjoy it in the meantime, because I do!  And in the future I will try to post some of the out-takes that show the imperfections.

No comments:

Post a Comment