Friday, May 10, 2013

"Would you say your pesto is the besto?"


"Would you say your pesto is the besto?"  If you can name where that line is from, then you win:  the satisfaction of knowing that you aren't the only nerd who watches too much tv.

This week I was craving pasta.  Pesto pasta.  I figured, I had some nuts, I had some greens, and I had some cheese....so therefore, I could make pesto.  I love all of the combinations that this simple condiment provides.  Cilantro, parsely, parmesan, walnuts, cashews, the list goes on and on.  Any and all of these combinations taste so different, and so good.  I don't think I ever met a pesto I didn't like.

When I ventured into making this, I looked up some recipes just to make sure I knew what I was doing.  And, it turns out that you can't really mess it up.  I kind of eyeballed all of the ingredients until I got the right consistency and did some taste tests along the way.  One thing I discovered in this research was that one pesto called for chicken broth, which I hadn't seen before.  I latched on to this idea and used more chicken broth than olive oil until I got to my desired consistency.  I would say that is a pretty healthy alternative!

These ingredients are ballpark figures, but should get you where you want to go.  I suggest playing around with it until you get to something you like!

2 Handfuls almonds.  Toast in a pan over medium head for 3-5 minutes, until fragrant.
1/3c Olive Oil
Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
1.5c Fresh baby spinach
1/2c Feta cheese
3/4c-1c Chicken broth.  Adding just a little at a time until desired consistency.
5 Garlic cloves
Salt & pepper to taste

Throw all in a food processor and let 'er rip.
Note: I have an itsy bitsy food processor, so I tried using a blender.  It broke everything down, but I ended up needing to break this into 2 batches to put in to my tiny processor to really get it smooth.

This is great tossed with some veggies, pasta, chicken, etc etc etc etc.  Pretty much great with everything!



No comments:

Post a Comment